This that and the other thingamagig
Jun. 26th, 2026 06:00 pm1. I received the final knee injection today. Hopefully it will work. Although, I am not going wild - and doing the insane stairs at 4th Avenue and 9th Streets. That's how I did the knee in to begin with. And no, knee braces don't prevent it or help any. Learn from my mistakes - if you have bad knees and they hurt, do knee exercises - do not climb eight flights of steep concrete steps five days a week, twice daily. I do not foresee any marathons in my future. But I might be able to manage a five mile hike down the road.
2. It's humid at the moment and sticky outside. In the low 80sF/26-28C, with high humidity. Overcast. No threat of rain until tomorrow - unfortunately. We need the rain. I can tell it's been drier than usual by looking at the drooping flowers and brown patches of grass here and there in my neighborhood. The trees and bushes seem to be fine. Lots of wilting lilies. I think planting lilies may have been a mistake? The Irises did well enough, but the lilies are wilting. Roses do best in NYC climate for some reason, that and sunflowers, daisies, and hydrangeas. Nice thing about living in a city residential area is ..you do not have to garden, there are more than enough gardeners around you that can do it for you.
3. Some good news? Besides the knee injection, and the lack of a migraine. (The vestibular migraine appears to be gone at the moment. Fingers crossed, it stays gone. It keeps threatening to come back, so we'll see.)
NYC Rent Guidelines Board Approved Rent Freeze or 0% increases for 1 and 2 year rents for the next two years
"The board adopted a proposal which set rent adjustments at 0% for one-year leases and 0% for two-year leases that start on Oct. 1, 2026 through Sept. 30, 2027.
“The motion passes,” RGB Chair Chantella Mitchell said after the final vote was announced.
Hundreds of New Yorkers in the auditorium at El Museo Del Barrio in East Harlem erupted in triumph, celebrating the decision that tenant advocates deemed a historic victory."
I can't believe they accomplished that. I honestly had my doubts. But Mamdani pulled it off - he managed to appoint his own people to the rent guidelines board and overturn the landlord's lobby (which had been steadily increasing rents from 2% to about 6%). In 2024-2025, rents were increased by 2-4% for 1 year leases and 4-6% for two year leases. Mine had been increased by 4-5%, but then reduced because the landlord had to share the tax abatement they got for maintenance work on the building with the tenants. You can't raise the rent to pay for maintenance, get a tax break on the maintenance from the State and City and not share that with the tenants who also pay taxes.)
Don't feel sorry for the landlords. Rent stabilized apartments are rent stabilized only because the landlords get tax abatements and they are hefty tax abatements. They don't have to pay the property tax on the rent stabilized apartments. They also get sizable tax breaks for repairs and maintenance, which I didn't know about - until I got a notice on it from the State, and was told they had to share it with me. So, about $3.95 is deducted from my rent each month.
Mamdani has accomplished more for working class and middle class New Yorkers in the first six months of his term than the last five mayors have in all of their terms, or any of the Governors. He's reduced rents, he has inserted a tax on billionaires with second homes in the city, he has provided for low cost or free grocery stores...and he has pushed through laws protecting New Yorkers from ICE raids.
I'm relieved. It means my rent won't go up until 2028, by which time - I may move anyhow. I should have just done a one-year lease last year, oh well.
4. I really wish the World Cup matches weren't being held in NY and NJ. (Technically New Jersey, but they might as well be being held here.) The city is incredibly crowded with tourists this summer. Lots of kids. More than usual. Usually they all take off for elsewhere - once school gets out, and the city is less crowded over the summer - but not this year.
I feel sorry for the NJ Transit commuters - they can't use NJ Transit at all - they have to find other means of transportation during the World Cup.
They've closed it off for anyone who isn't traveling to the World Cup.
They've decided to hold a World Cup watch party in Kensington Plaza (it's not that big a plaza or comfortable? And right outside my subway station on July 7, at 3pm. Which would ordinarily be fine? But I'm traveling by subway around 3:30pm to get to the city for dinner with three_men on that date. Hopefully I can get to the subway without issue? I might try to cross the street earlier and circle around it. Turns out my co-worker was right - this area is more into the World Cup than it was the Knicks.
The City is really into huge group gatherings this summer? And by huge group gatherings, I do not mean anywhere from 100-10,000 people. No. I mean anywhere from 10,000 - 4 Million people. They had about 100,000 people in Prospect Park for a picnic at long tables. Why? Just Why?
As much as I'd like to meet new people? I can't do that folks. It's not in me.
What is it with these huge group gatherings? I have issues with 50-100 people. I remember asking a friend once how many people were going to be at a party she was throwing. Somewhat put out she said about 10-20. And I was relieved, and said oh, okay, that's doable for me. If it had been 50-100 like she wanted, I'd have declined or come early and left early.
Oh, Mother had stayed up late watching the US vs. Turkey match on the World Cup.
Mother: They lost.
Me: Who?
Mother: The US. Although Turkey will still go home, and the US will move on, so it doesn't matter.
Me: Okay, why?
Mother: US won more matches in its division. Turkey lost in theirs. So they put in the weaker players in this match, to give them a chance to play and win, while the better players rested.
Me: Is it wrong that I'm glad Turkey won?
Mother: well, the US players did want to win for pride.
Me: You do realize that you are discussing this with the wrong child, right?
Mother: I do discuss it with your brother who is also watching it.
Me: That's the right child to discuss it. You discuss the soap with me, the World cup with him. I don't care about the World Cup. I just hope anyone but the US wins - because Trump is going to it. Breaking Bad did say maybe he'll get hit in the head with a soccer ball. To which I responded - maybe everyone will throw soccer balls at him - that way they won't know who did it.
5. Finished the four seasons available of Vox Machina - now watching Critical Role, and going back to re-watch from the beginning. Although I probably should? could? watch something else? I've a lengthy queue? I want to watch "Sheep Detectives" on Prime, "The Drama" on HBO, "The Bear" final season, X-men '97 rewatch for S2, From's latest episodes, Widow's Bay latest episodes...
Season 4 is good, but I liked the previous seasons better? I thought there were better isolated character moments. Also Dragons make better villains than necromancers? Although it does have an interesting through theme of how we do have choices, even if it doesn't always seem that way - and how gods and believe and fate intertwine with that. Fantasy and science fiction delve into those themes better than other genres.
I do adore the creators of this - who have created their own animation company, and are exploring science fiction as well as fantasy series. Animation is somewhat freeing for a lot of voice actors - because you can play anything, and just use your voice to act the role. It's a different type of acting - Mark Hamil has made a career of it, and David Tennant has done a lot of it. They got a French comic book artist to do graphics for the S4 villain's back story. I'm watching how they put it together and filmed it - on youtube. Animation fascinates me - it's a road not yet taken.
I checked out the fandom, and no. I'm not into gaming, tatts, debating about which characters are the best, cosplaying, conventions, and meeting the creators. I just want to discuss it? My idea of interacting, is investigating how it was done, seeing the art process, and analyzing the characters. Basically get geeky about it?
But it is interesting what the group does - they role play, complete with facial expressions and accents. They are excellent collaborators. Watching them collaborate makes me happy. They ask the dungeon master - the writer/director specifics, they add some - then act it out. So it's basically theater improve. (I suck at improve - which is why role-playing may not be for me? But, I'm impressed by folks who can do it without thinking. I impressed by anyone who can do things I can't do.)
6.June - Question a Day Meme
25. In the British Isles, there have been campaigns over the years to save the ancient regional languages such as Cornish (Kernewek), Welsh (Cymraeg), Irish (Gaeilge), Manx (Gaelg), Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig) and regional languages such as Jersey French (Jèrriais) and others. Are there any regional languages in the area you live in that are still surviving?
Yes. The Native Americans in the area - do still speak in their native language. Also most of the train stations in Long Island are Native American Tribe Words: Ronkonkoma, Massapequa, Patchoque, Montauk, etc.
https://www.native-languages.org/york.htm
https://www.gothamcenter.org/babel-in-reverse-indigenous-metropolis
Per Google: Several Native American languages indigenous to New York State are still spoken, though most are critically endangered and undergoing active revitalization.
Key languages still present in New York include: Haudenosaunee (Iroquois)
Languages: Spoken in central and western NY, these include Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, and Seneca.
The Onondaga Nation still uses their language in traditional ceremonies.
Tuscarora (Skarohreh): While the last native speaker died in 2020, strong revitalization efforts are ongoing in NY to teach the language to youth.
Algonquian Languages: While many are dormant, the Shinnecock Indian Nation on Long Island continues to maintain its cultural identity, and there are efforts to reclaim local dialects.
Revitalization Efforts:
Lenape (Lunaape): The Indigenous language of NYC is being taught and revitalized through classes near Union Square.
Classes & Immersion: Native American Community Services of Western New York (WNY) hosts language programs, and the Onondaga Nation operates an elementary school that teaches their culture and language.
Documentation: Resources are being created from old recordings and documents to revive languages like Unkechaug
And yes, we have over a million different immigrant languages, English dialects and regional accents - in NYC alone.
26. What’s the temperature today where you live? Is it around the average for this time of year?
Currently? 75 degrees F, which is approximately 24 C?
Yes, for the most part. Although it feels more like July or August? The plant life looks like July and August - it's been drier than usual.
2. It's humid at the moment and sticky outside. In the low 80sF/26-28C, with high humidity. Overcast. No threat of rain until tomorrow - unfortunately. We need the rain. I can tell it's been drier than usual by looking at the drooping flowers and brown patches of grass here and there in my neighborhood. The trees and bushes seem to be fine. Lots of wilting lilies. I think planting lilies may have been a mistake? The Irises did well enough, but the lilies are wilting. Roses do best in NYC climate for some reason, that and sunflowers, daisies, and hydrangeas. Nice thing about living in a city residential area is ..you do not have to garden, there are more than enough gardeners around you that can do it for you.
3. Some good news? Besides the knee injection, and the lack of a migraine. (The vestibular migraine appears to be gone at the moment. Fingers crossed, it stays gone. It keeps threatening to come back, so we'll see.)
NYC Rent Guidelines Board Approved Rent Freeze or 0% increases for 1 and 2 year rents for the next two years
"The board adopted a proposal which set rent adjustments at 0% for one-year leases and 0% for two-year leases that start on Oct. 1, 2026 through Sept. 30, 2027.
“The motion passes,” RGB Chair Chantella Mitchell said after the final vote was announced.
Hundreds of New Yorkers in the auditorium at El Museo Del Barrio in East Harlem erupted in triumph, celebrating the decision that tenant advocates deemed a historic victory."
I can't believe they accomplished that. I honestly had my doubts. But Mamdani pulled it off - he managed to appoint his own people to the rent guidelines board and overturn the landlord's lobby (which had been steadily increasing rents from 2% to about 6%). In 2024-2025, rents were increased by 2-4% for 1 year leases and 4-6% for two year leases. Mine had been increased by 4-5%, but then reduced because the landlord had to share the tax abatement they got for maintenance work on the building with the tenants. You can't raise the rent to pay for maintenance, get a tax break on the maintenance from the State and City and not share that with the tenants who also pay taxes.)
Don't feel sorry for the landlords. Rent stabilized apartments are rent stabilized only because the landlords get tax abatements and they are hefty tax abatements. They don't have to pay the property tax on the rent stabilized apartments. They also get sizable tax breaks for repairs and maintenance, which I didn't know about - until I got a notice on it from the State, and was told they had to share it with me. So, about $3.95 is deducted from my rent each month.
Mamdani has accomplished more for working class and middle class New Yorkers in the first six months of his term than the last five mayors have in all of their terms, or any of the Governors. He's reduced rents, he has inserted a tax on billionaires with second homes in the city, he has provided for low cost or free grocery stores...and he has pushed through laws protecting New Yorkers from ICE raids.
I'm relieved. It means my rent won't go up until 2028, by which time - I may move anyhow. I should have just done a one-year lease last year, oh well.
4. I really wish the World Cup matches weren't being held in NY and NJ. (Technically New Jersey, but they might as well be being held here.) The city is incredibly crowded with tourists this summer. Lots of kids. More than usual. Usually they all take off for elsewhere - once school gets out, and the city is less crowded over the summer - but not this year.
I feel sorry for the NJ Transit commuters - they can't use NJ Transit at all - they have to find other means of transportation during the World Cup.
They've closed it off for anyone who isn't traveling to the World Cup.
They've decided to hold a World Cup watch party in Kensington Plaza (it's not that big a plaza or comfortable? And right outside my subway station on July 7, at 3pm. Which would ordinarily be fine? But I'm traveling by subway around 3:30pm to get to the city for dinner with three_men on that date. Hopefully I can get to the subway without issue? I might try to cross the street earlier and circle around it. Turns out my co-worker was right - this area is more into the World Cup than it was the Knicks.
The City is really into huge group gatherings this summer? And by huge group gatherings, I do not mean anywhere from 100-10,000 people. No. I mean anywhere from 10,000 - 4 Million people. They had about 100,000 people in Prospect Park for a picnic at long tables. Why? Just Why?
As much as I'd like to meet new people? I can't do that folks. It's not in me.
What is it with these huge group gatherings? I have issues with 50-100 people. I remember asking a friend once how many people were going to be at a party she was throwing. Somewhat put out she said about 10-20. And I was relieved, and said oh, okay, that's doable for me. If it had been 50-100 like she wanted, I'd have declined or come early and left early.
Oh, Mother had stayed up late watching the US vs. Turkey match on the World Cup.
Mother: They lost.
Me: Who?
Mother: The US. Although Turkey will still go home, and the US will move on, so it doesn't matter.
Me: Okay, why?
Mother: US won more matches in its division. Turkey lost in theirs. So they put in the weaker players in this match, to give them a chance to play and win, while the better players rested.
Me: Is it wrong that I'm glad Turkey won?
Mother: well, the US players did want to win for pride.
Me: You do realize that you are discussing this with the wrong child, right?
Mother: I do discuss it with your brother who is also watching it.
Me: That's the right child to discuss it. You discuss the soap with me, the World cup with him. I don't care about the World Cup. I just hope anyone but the US wins - because Trump is going to it. Breaking Bad did say maybe he'll get hit in the head with a soccer ball. To which I responded - maybe everyone will throw soccer balls at him - that way they won't know who did it.
5. Finished the four seasons available of Vox Machina - now watching Critical Role, and going back to re-watch from the beginning. Although I probably should? could? watch something else? I've a lengthy queue? I want to watch "Sheep Detectives" on Prime, "The Drama" on HBO, "The Bear" final season, X-men '97 rewatch for S2, From's latest episodes, Widow's Bay latest episodes...
Season 4 is good, but I liked the previous seasons better? I thought there were better isolated character moments. Also Dragons make better villains than necromancers? Although it does have an interesting through theme of how we do have choices, even if it doesn't always seem that way - and how gods and believe and fate intertwine with that. Fantasy and science fiction delve into those themes better than other genres.
I do adore the creators of this - who have created their own animation company, and are exploring science fiction as well as fantasy series. Animation is somewhat freeing for a lot of voice actors - because you can play anything, and just use your voice to act the role. It's a different type of acting - Mark Hamil has made a career of it, and David Tennant has done a lot of it. They got a French comic book artist to do graphics for the S4 villain's back story. I'm watching how they put it together and filmed it - on youtube. Animation fascinates me - it's a road not yet taken.
I checked out the fandom, and no. I'm not into gaming, tatts, debating about which characters are the best, cosplaying, conventions, and meeting the creators. I just want to discuss it? My idea of interacting, is investigating how it was done, seeing the art process, and analyzing the characters. Basically get geeky about it?
But it is interesting what the group does - they role play, complete with facial expressions and accents. They are excellent collaborators. Watching them collaborate makes me happy. They ask the dungeon master - the writer/director specifics, they add some - then act it out. So it's basically theater improve. (I suck at improve - which is why role-playing may not be for me? But, I'm impressed by folks who can do it without thinking. I impressed by anyone who can do things I can't do.)
6.June - Question a Day Meme
25. In the British Isles, there have been campaigns over the years to save the ancient regional languages such as Cornish (Kernewek), Welsh (Cymraeg), Irish (Gaeilge), Manx (Gaelg), Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig) and regional languages such as Jersey French (Jèrriais) and others. Are there any regional languages in the area you live in that are still surviving?
Yes. The Native Americans in the area - do still speak in their native language. Also most of the train stations in Long Island are Native American Tribe Words: Ronkonkoma, Massapequa, Patchoque, Montauk, etc.
https://www.native-languages.org/york.htm
https://www.gothamcenter.org/babel-in-reverse-indigenous-metropolis
Per Google: Several Native American languages indigenous to New York State are still spoken, though most are critically endangered and undergoing active revitalization.
Key languages still present in New York include: Haudenosaunee (Iroquois)
Languages: Spoken in central and western NY, these include Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, and Seneca.
The Onondaga Nation still uses their language in traditional ceremonies.
Tuscarora (Skarohreh): While the last native speaker died in 2020, strong revitalization efforts are ongoing in NY to teach the language to youth.
Algonquian Languages: While many are dormant, the Shinnecock Indian Nation on Long Island continues to maintain its cultural identity, and there are efforts to reclaim local dialects.
Revitalization Efforts:
Lenape (Lunaape): The Indigenous language of NYC is being taught and revitalized through classes near Union Square.
Classes & Immersion: Native American Community Services of Western New York (WNY) hosts language programs, and the Onondaga Nation operates an elementary school that teaches their culture and language.
Documentation: Resources are being created from old recordings and documents to revive languages like Unkechaug
And yes, we have over a million different immigrant languages, English dialects and regional accents - in NYC alone.
26. What’s the temperature today where you live? Is it around the average for this time of year?
Currently? 75 degrees F, which is approximately 24 C?
Yes, for the most part. Although it feels more like July or August? The plant life looks like July and August - it's been drier than usual.
no subject
Date: 2026-06-27 09:14 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-06-27 01:40 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-06-27 02:22 pm (UTC)It's great to hear there are efforts to save the Native languages in the US.
no subject
Date: 2026-06-27 05:32 pm (UTC)And the Native Americans live on reservations or tribal lands, that are not US property, but reserved for Native Americans, where they speak their own language, as well as English. But mainly their own language. They have their own laws, their own police, their own government. For example? You could have a Casino on a Native American Reservation, while you couldn't always on US property that was right next door to it.
It's not quite the same as the Scottish and Welsh? Although maybe it is - in a way, since the Welsh and Scottish much like the Native Americans were invaded and conquered.
no subject
Date: 2026-06-28 10:23 am (UTC)