shadowkat: (Default)
[personal profile] shadowkat
1. Well, if I want to fly to Hilton Head in December - it will have to be via Savannah, either that or take dreaded American Airlines and stop over in Charlotte. Do not want. Either way - pay extra. I prefer Jetblue - it's safer and more reliable than American - and I have mileage program with it.
I don't have to do it this minute. I have until October 1.

[I've finally convinced Breaking Bad that taking time off in December isn't an issue any longer. This is after three years. So it will be the first Xmas spent with mother since 2022. And the second since my Dad died. It was either Xmas or her birthday. We chose Xmas. I can't really afford both - time wise. I need to continue to reserve days for doctor's appointments.]

Also, in desperate need of a haircut. Breaking Bad's hair and mine are about the same length. Also almost the same color (except I think his is whiter/grayer as it should be - he's eleven years older than me). We had a discussion about Retirement today - and why we're both terrified to take it. Why? Crazy agency has made the process convoluted and confusing. (Trust me - if there is a way that Crazy Org can make something more confusing and convoluted - it will find it.) There's all these rules, and none of them make sense? It's like a convoluted word puzzle or logic riddle?)

Breaking Bad: the best way to understand it is to set up an appointment with Railroad Retirement out in Central Islip and have them walk you through it face to face..
ME: Can I even get out there?
Breaking Bad: Not easily. But there are trains, you just have to find your way to the office.

Breaking Bad: the way they have this set up - you almost need to bring your attorney and your accountant with you to the meeting.
Me: I've neither.
Breaking Bad: I don't have them either.
ME: I can see why people don't retire - they are afraid to. Stupid organization has made it so confusing - everyone is scare to leave.
Breaking Bad: Exactly.

Breaking Bad and I have kind of bonded over our mutual confusion. Oh well, it's better than trying to bond with Bright Young Thing - which was akin to attempting to bond with a cobra.


***

2. I am forever indebted to Dungeon Crawler Carl Book 3: Carl's Anarchist Cookbook. Why? It provided me with the name of a book and the author of said book - that I've been trying to remember and hunt down for over 20 years. (It's out of print - hence the problem locating it. And it's a lesser known book.)

As a kid, I read and loved a weird Andre Norton sci-fi novel with a cat on the cover. Took me a long time to figure out it was by Andre Norton.
(No, it's not Cats Eye). Andre Norton aka Alice Andre Norton - was a prolific sci-fi writer of the mid-late 20th Century. She wrote hundreds of books, famously the Witch World series. My Aunt, who was a school librarian and a fan of genres such as Westerns, Science Fiction, Fantasy and Romance, introduced me to Andre Norton, Anne McCaffrey, JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, Zelphia Keatley Snyder, among others. I discovered science fiction and fantasy in the fifth and sixth grades, and fell in love.

Name of book? Breed to Come by Andre Norton (female writers often used male names in the 1960s, particularly in male centric fields like science fiction.)

I managed to find a cheaper edition? The Iron Breed - People Saga Book 1

"Two best-selling novels of science fiction adventure from the People saga of legendary storyteller Andre Norton together for the first time.

Iron Cage: Johnny has always loved and been protected by the People, the bearlike inhabitants on the planet he calls home. But when a star ship arrives carrying Johnny's original species, humans—humans who seek to exploit the People for their own ends—Johnny is forced to choose between loyalty to the creatures he considers his family, and the need to reconnect with his long lost heritage.

Breed to Come: On a distant future Earth, humans have polluted the planet and departed, leaving their pets behind to inherit a blasted world. But from that devastated past, a new breed of intelligence arises: the catlike People. Now humans return and the People are in no mood to deal once again with the ''demons'' who abandoned them to fate so long ago. "

That's two books for $5.99.

Dungeon Crawler Carl is interesting? It references Louis L'Amour Westerns, and Classic Sci-Fi writers. I will warn folks. The book is sci-fi horror, and gory. It is a biting satire of video game culture, reality games, ogliarchy/authoritarianism. I'm enjoying the heck out of it. But it is not for everyone. It may appeal to the Kurt Vonnegurt/Douglas Adams crowd? I like Vonnegurt better than Adams? And this is more Vonnegurt. Vonnegurt was a lot darker than Adams in his satire.

I'm enjoying the heck out of Carl's Anarchist Cookbook - since it's a satire on the subway systems around the world. It calls the twisted subway system in the dungeon that the game has recreated - the Iron Tangle. And I thought - that's actually a fitting name for NYCT, which I curse most of the time.

I'm listening to them on audio book. Some nitwit on Threads worried that audio books were increasing our literacy crisis. (sigh, it's actually better than it was 20-30 years ago. More people are reading now than they were ten to fifteen years ago? NYC certainly is - they have 100 person book swaps and book parties in various parks now.) So, no, it's not having any affect on the literacy crisis, if there is one, and I find that doubtful.

Threads has a lot of chicken littles whining on it? It's very whiny platform, prone to hyperbole.

3. There's this one annoyingly self-righteous woman on Threads from Denmark who keeps wondering about the US. She's clearly never been to the US, and only knows what she sees in the news media. And worse, she keeps comparing Denmark to the US. Denmark is about the size of Wisconsin? (One of the US's smaller states?) Denmark has 5.28 million people, is a monarchy, with a parliamentary government - it has more in common with Britain? The US is a Republic, with a checks and balances system, with over 380 million people, and Denmark could fit into one of its 50 states. To put this into perspective? NYC has 12 million people and New York is bigger than Denmark.

What a lot of Europeans don't appear to understand is - every State in the US has it's own individual Constitution, and that Constitution for the most part "proceeds" Federal statute and laws. The only thing that proceeds State Constitution is the US Constitution (which is so deliberately vague - that it doesn't for the most part.) Example? The US Supreme Court could rule that the US Constitution does not grant the right to abortion...as part of the protection of privacy, but a State Constitution can remedy that by stating "abortions are legal as a woman's right to choose" under that State's Constitution. The US could send ICE agents to NYC declaring they can wear masks, but NYC can pass an ordinance that it is illegal for any law enforcement agency, Federal or State, to wear masks, and ICE is not exempt. This is different than Germany - who could pass a law that ICE can round up immigrants and wear masks, and that's that. Germany doesn't have individual states. The US is a country with 50 states, 50 state governments, local governments, and a centralized Federal Government with checks and balances spread across three branches, the Executive, the Legislative and the Courts. It's a really hard system to turn into a dictatorship - there's a lot of moving targets and balls in the air. It's easier to turn a European Country into a dictatorship than the United States, because you don't have as many moving parts. I'm not saying it can't be done? Just that as a practical matter - it is really hard to do. Particularly in the information age?

Dane: Americans always think size matters.
ME: Well, geographic and population size does? It's easier to provide universal health care to 5.8 million than 380 million. Also easier to track immigration and tax payers. And, how long does it take to see all of Denmark? The US - it takes years, and even then...

I get the desire to compare the two? But...they aren't really comparable?
Any more than Germany and the US are?

Germany went from being a monarchy to a Republic (lasted less than a year) to authoritarian socialism, back to a Republic. It's actually closer.
But it is smaller. And doesn't have the population density. There are granted similarities, but you need to factor in variables such as size, population density, geographical considerations, etc. I mean the US spans two oceans, and has multiple mountain ranges, multiple deserts, among other things.

Immigration is different. The US also is a country made up of 50 states. Denmark is a just a country - no states. It's one state. You can control immigration and taxes much easier in one small country than in say a country with 50 separate states, who disagree on everything. There's also an assumption abroad that the US doesn't take care of its citizens? That's not exactly true and a huge generalization? It does, but it depends on where you live within it, and what state you are in? All States are not created equal, and have different laws and welfare systems. Some State's have health care (NY has it's own health care system for those who can't afford it), and we do have the affordable health care act, Medicaid, and Medicare. Is it perfect no. But we also have 380 million (plus a bunch of people who aren't counted.).



4. I found out, while discussing the character of Wolverine on Threads, that Hugh Jackman has a long lasting friendship with Rupert Murdoch, and is friends with Trump's daughter and son-in-law. So is Nicole Kidman. They are godparents to Murdoch's kids.

Sigh.

I feel validated for choosing not to see Jackman in concert - something about what I'd seen of his concerts bothered me?

I don't believe he's a bad person. But damn. Murdoch? He also has been very vocal about supporting Murdoch.

Murdoch was yellow journalist in Australia, who began his career with the Tabloids in Australia.

[Note: The discussion was a validating one about Wolverine. Apparently I'm not alone in not wanting the character recast, in the X-men, or involved with Jean Grey. Considering the 200 year age difference and she's 22 and he's well over 100. Also Wolverine is supposed to be messy, unattractive, short, and crazy - more Tom Hardy than Hugh Jackman (who was miscast as the character and ruined the X-men films, and the character as a result). Wolverine went from a favorite to my least favorite - because Marvel over-exposed the character, and how Jackman played him. Wolverine isn't supposed to be charismatic.]

5. Was a lovely day. But alas, my knee was bothering me. So only went to Whole Foods - and picked up, three mousses - two chocolate, and one caramel panetta, gluten free spinach and artichoke ravioli with cashew cheese (it's really hard to avoid vegan when getting gluten free - they go hand in hand), gluten free Beechers World Famous Mac and Cheese.

I rarely go to Whole Foods. But was craving chocolate mousse today. It's pricey, so won't be getting it again. Cost $4.99 per 1 serving of mousse.
See? Pricey.

Date: 2026-08-25 07:45 am (UTC)
kazzy_cee: (Default)
From: [personal profile] kazzy_cee
It is hard for Europeans to understand the US. There are so many differences, and the States being set up (almost) like individual countries within the country is hard to grasp. There's also the huge differences in how the legal systems and education systems work. I don't think anyone in the US or Europe can understand the differences either way.

Date: 2026-08-25 01:26 pm (UTC)
rebeccmeister: (Default)
From: [personal profile] rebeccmeister
Okay, I also love the idea of calling a subway system the Iron Tangle! Quite fitting.

Date: 2026-08-25 09:00 pm (UTC)
iddewes: (Wales Germany)
From: [personal profile] iddewes
Germany does have individual states with their own local seats of government, and some things are nationwide while others are decided by the states.
There are definite differences between the people and cultures of the states as well. Of course in the US you mostly just get Bavarian everything.

Date: 2026-08-26 06:45 am (UTC)
iddewes: (german bears)
From: [personal profile] iddewes
I meant like restaurants etc in the US and even language classes etc it’s all about Bavarian culture. Everyone has heard of Krampus and thinks that’s all over Germany but he’s actually only in Bavaria, (and Austria) the Oktoberfest is Bavarian, my friends are taking German classes in the US and practically everything they are learning about culture wise is Bavarian. But then also here the Bavarians are the loudest. 😉
I know there are a lot of differences between the US and Germany and Trump is certainly going about his dictatorship in a different way, I just wanted to point out that Germany does have states with their own local governments. There are counties here too. We also follow EU law which obviously the US doesn’t have to follow laws set by a group of countries.

Date: 2026-08-29 12:16 pm (UTC)
trepkos: (Default)
From: [personal profile] trepkos
I used to love Andre Norton. I remember the Tripods trilogy.

Profile

shadowkat: (Default)
shadowkat

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 29th, 2026 01:42 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios