shadowkat: (Default)
[personal profile] shadowkat
Slept in due to fitful sleep resulting from digestive upset. The digestive upset also resulted in getting to bed later than usual. Solution? Try to eat even less? I don't know. I felt like I'd been glutened - except, I didn't eat anything with glutens in them? (I had soup (broth with celery/carrots and green onion) with a gluten free sour dough grilled cheese sandwhich. Decided to avoid the gluten-free bread for the time being. Even though it is certified gluten free. I could be sensitive to one of its ingredients? Although it usually doesn't happen?

I never know. My digestive situation continues to remain a mystery or puzzle to me? (And before anyone suggests a gastroenterologist? Been there done that. Multiple times. I usually end up on some sort of pill regime, or diet regime (already on), and have to get the enscopy/colonoscopy (which never comes up with anything except discomfort), and am told - well, you're fine - just take this, and eat less.) The difficulty with celiac disease is - it creates sensitivities to other foods besides glutens. Also, the difficulty with diabetes (often caused by celiac disease and the onset of menopause) is that the medication can cause gas and bloating (which it has), yet it isn't as bad as other medication.

Today - my blood sugar went up as a result of eating an apple, some kiwi, a banana dipped in dark chocolate. Also grits with cinnamon, pepper, and butter, fried eggs and greens caused it to go up - yet not quite as high as the fruit.

I don't know what I'll have tonight. Need to have it soon. I made iced hibiscus tea this afternoon. (It really only works as iced tea, I find hot hibiscus tea disgusting. I am picky about tea - but am also a major tea drinker - since I'm sensitive to the caffeine in coffee, and the acidity level.)

Went to pharmacy - they hadn't completed filling my prescription yet. I didn't want to wait for it - so bought the other meds, and will come back for it after work tomorrow.

I go back to work tomorrow. My Doctor's note specifically stated I was fine to go back to work on Wednesday, September 2. I'll send Breaking Bad my note and the accompanying worker's comp sick leave form required for all represented employees who call in sick regardless of the reason. (It resembles a Worker's Comp form, which is why the doctor's refuse to sign it? It's a workers comp form - not really a sick leave form). The whole thing cost me a $25 copayment to the doctor.

**

I watched Wake Up Dead Man, the latest Benoit Blanc mystery by Rian Johnson, on Netflix. They star Daniel Craig - as a kind of satiric take on Sherlock Holmes. I liked this one slightly better than the last one, although my attention wandered during the beginning of it. It always does. Rian Johnson has yet to hold my attention all the way through anything he does - I don't know why? Maybe it's the convoluted plotting? Johnson's busy and convoluted plotting would give Stephen Moffat, a headache.

I'm sorry fellas? But you do not have the plotting expertise of Agatha Christie and Conan Doyle. Although, the characters can be fun. My difficulty with the ones in the Blanc satires - is they are over the top, so I don't really care what happens to anyone? They are too much like caricatures.

Anyhow, it was okay. I liked Enola Holmes 3 more.

***

Poster: I don't understand why the Americans aren't doing what the French did in 1789 - and went out in a violent mob? And stormed the capital to take it back! These peaceful protests don't appear to be working.

Me: And that worked so well for the French in 1789. (Sarcasm). Also, there's a bit of been there done that, have the battle scars? I mean, consider the American Revolutionary War was in the 1770s, then we had the French Revolution (with all those beheadings and mass killings), which led to the Napoleon War (that was kind of bloody and decimated France, led them right back to the King bit, conservative purging, etc - this was the age of the Count of Monte Cristo and the Three Musketeers?), while the much more successful American Revolutionary War (mainly because it was colonies against a country/King (Great Britain) that was over an ocean away and not located on the mainland and was allied with another country - France was the Revolutionaries Ally) lead to the War of 1812 (also against Britain), then the American Civil War - which was nasty. You are proposing another American Civil War? Really? Let's not do that. That would be very bad.

What happened to our educational system? Do people just not study history or only the bits they see in musicals and movies? And honestly, the Violent French Uprisings didn't end well in Hugo's Les Misreables either? It took France a lot time to get rid of its monarchy.

***

Question a Day Meme: September

1. The first US bank robbery took place on this day in 1798. The Bank of Pennsylvania at Carpenters' Hall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was robbed of $162,821. Have you ever had anything stolen?

Yes. In 2005. A lap top. Someone broke into my old apartment (not the current one), came through the fire escape/windows from the roof (landlord was doing construction, left the front door unlocked, and they were able to get to the roof via the roof access at the top of the stairs, then swung through the upper windows) and stole my lap top while I was sleeping with the door closed to my bedroom. The only reason they didn't take anything else - was they discovered I was there and panicked. Cops were convinced they were kids.

I woke up the next morning, freezing. And wondered why. I noticed the top windows were all open. Then turned around and discovered my laptop was gone. They didn't take anything else. I lost my novel (outside of what was saved on floppy disc and in hard copy - this was before the cloud and flash drives). I also had just done my taxes via Turbo Tax the day before. (This was before you could do them online).

It was horrible. But I did learn something? The fingerprint analyst taught me that DNA and fingerprints can't be lifted from most surfaces, particularly surfaces exposed to the elements, like my windows. CSI is lying to you. Or rather the television procedural information on DNA and fingerprints is BS. So now, that takes me out of just about everything I watch or read.

Also the cops don't care about lap-tops being stolen? Two of the cops were fans of Buffy - and talked about how the kids probably went over the rooftops like Buffy. My respect for the profession kind of plummeted after this experience? And, the kids just wiped the lap top, so running around changing all my credit cars, bank information, and financial information was probably a waste of time.

2.When you were a teenager, what new technology were you most impressed with? Looking back, has that item been updated or become obsolete?

I don't really remember? There's been so much in the intervening years?
If I were to guess? It was either the VHS Tape Deck, the Cassette Tape Recorder, or the Walkman.

None of which I own now. The VHS thing may still exist - but it was long since updated to a DVD player (not as good a replacement - it couldn't record effectively), and in turn replaced by DVR and Streaming. (I like streaming - I was never that into buying and playing DVRs or VHS tapes, which took up way too much space). The Cassette Player - probably doesn't and was updated into a CD player by the time I reached college (I took a long time to get on board), and the Walkman was replaced by the MP3 Player.
I tend to have subscriptions now? MP3 Apple Music account, Streaming. I don't have the space for much else.

Date: 2026-09-02 01:47 pm (UTC)
kazzy_cee: (Default)
From: [personal profile] kazzy_cee
That's scary about someone being in your apartment!

Profile

shadowkat: (Default)
shadowkat

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 25th, 2026 01:48 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios